If you love to cook, you must be preparing different types of desserts. Desserts add the touch of care and sweetness at the end of meals. Hence they need to be made with great care. Always try to use exotic fruits in your desserts so that you do not have to use more of sugar that is harmful for health.
Preparing heart healthy desserts is not very difficult if you know which ingredients to use. You will get various types of flour like whole wheat flour, oats flour, gluten-free flour and others, sugar substitutes that are safe for heart patients as well as diabetics, low fat milk cream, sugar-free chocolate and ice cream and such others. These can be used to bake or grill or simply combine to get a tasty heart healthy treat for the sweet tooth. Strawberries, cranberries, raspberries and apples when combined in the right proportion give you amazing desserts that can be prepared quite easily.
Apple Strawberry Torte
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour/whole wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons margarine or low fat butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute.
- 2 eggs
- ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take an 8-inch cake pan and smear it with butter and sprinkle flour and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix well the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add the eggs to this butter and sugar mixture and beat till light and smooth.
- Next blend in the vanilla and the juice extracted from the lemon.
- Put in the remaining ingredients and mix well to form a thick batter.
- Now pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Toss the sliced apples and strawberries with lemon juice and ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Now arrange this topping over the batter to form a layer.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon sugar and bake in the middle oven till it turns light brown at the edges for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
Your delicious heart healthy dessert is ready to serve. This treat is good for those suffering from diabetes and obesity too as it is low in calories and very little saturated fat contents.