Are you worried about your celiac problems and feeling depressed that you can no longer enjoy your beloved Christmas cakes and desserts anymore? Just do away with all worries for now you can bake the tastiest of cakes and pastries with gluten-free flour. You can use sugar substitute too in place of table sugar to stay low on calories.
Here is one of the tastiest dishes prepared especially with gluten-free flour for celiac patients.
Spiced Quince Crumbles:
Ingredients required for the poached quinces:
1. 2 quinces, peeled, cored and quartered.
2. 2 star anise
3. 1 cinnamon stick
4. 2 cardamom pods slightly crushed
5. 5 cloves
6. 1/4-cup sugar or sugar substitute
7. 1-teaspoon allspice berries
8. 1/2 lemon
Ingredients for the crumble:
1. 1/4 cup brown rice flour
2. 1/4-cup sorghum flour
3. 1/4-cup tapioca flour
4. 3 tablespoons finely chopped hazelnuts
5. 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
6. 1 egg yolk
7. 2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
How to prepare the quinces:
• Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the quinces.
• Bring the content of the pot to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to low.
• Place a lid halfway over the pot and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the quinces are soft. Poke with a knife through them to check the softness.
• Remove the fruit from the liquid with a slotted spoon and let cool to room temperature.
• Thinly slice the quince and reserve.
• Butter the inside of four 1-cup capacity ramekins or small dishes and set them on a baking tray.
• Preheat the oven to 350F and keep a rack in the center.
How to prepare the crumble:
• Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your fingertips or a fork until the mixture resembles large beads.
• Divide the quince slices evenly among your prepared dishes and sprinkle the crumble as evenly on top.
• Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
You might have leftover crumble mixture, you can either bake it separately and crumble it up over ice cream later or freeze it to use for a quick crumble later. Serve in interesting dishes and surprise your loved ones and friends with this unique and healthy treat. It is not very difficult to prepare such palatable items as the special ingredients are nowadays available at most of the stores