Pizzas are one of the most favorite foods of today especially among the young generation. Although most often they are considered as junk food, when prepared with healthy ingredients they are not that harmful. Have you tried the potato leek pizza? If not, then consider making one at home and enjoying with the entire family.
Leeks taste more like onions but sweeter and look like giant scallions. The white portion is used for cooking and has an anti-cancer element. The ones that have thick and long white sheaths and crispy blue-green tops are the best. You have to wash them thoroughly under cold running water to remove the grits. Use it after at least 5 minutes after cleaning like garlic so that the anti-cancer compounds develop well. Although potatoes are hardly used in pizzas, leeks and potatoes offer an amazing taste that you must have to believe it. Here is the recipe.
Potato Leek Pizza
1. 1 tablespoon olive oil
2. 4 medium leeks white and light green parts only, sliced (about 2 cups)
3. 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
4. Salt and black pepper, to taste
5. 1 ball pizza dough
6. 1½ cups grated Gruyere or according to taste
7. 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced very thinly on a box grater and soaked in cold water.
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
• Add the leeks, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté until soft and turning slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
• Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. (You can use ready-to-use pizza breads also that are fresh and soft).
• Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
• Sprinkle 1 cup of the grated Gruyere evenly over the dough.
• Place the leek mixture on top and then add the thinly sliced potatoes in one layer over the cheese and leeks and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
• Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 12 minutes, or until the crust is browned and crispy and the potatoes are tender.
• Slice and serve with a simple salad.
Since this is a healthy food, you can have it as a meal too. Serve with a few other side dishes to make it a whole platter that gives you complete nourishment according to the diet chart. It takes hardly 20 to 30 minutes to prepare the pizza.