Figs and ginger make for an amazing combination that you will not believe unless you taste it. Tarts being a favorite of most homes, you can easily prepare various types of toppings at different seasons and your moods too.
Here is the recipe of Ginger Fig Streusel Tarts just for you to try out in your kitchen.
Ingredients for the tarts:
1. 2 tablespoons (20gr) slivered almonds
2. 1/2 (60gr) cup-powdered sugar, unsifted.
3. 1/2 stick (56.5gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4. 1/4 vanilla bean, seeded
5. Pinch of salt
6. 3/4 cup (90gr) all-purpose flour
7. 1 egg yolk
Preheat oven to 350F.
• Pulse almonds and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar in a food processor until the nuts are finely ground.
• In bowl of electric mixer cream butter, vanilla bean seeds, ground nuts and salt on medium speed until well combined.
• Slowly add remaining powdered sugar and flour and mix well.
• Add the egg yolk and mix until incorporated.
• Shape dough into a ball and flatten into a disc.
• Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
• Place the dough in between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and roll it out to about 1/8-inch thick.
• Cut out four 5- inch rounds and fit them inside four 3- inch tartlet molds, patting the dough in with your fingertips.
• Prick the dough with a fork and refrigerate 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 350F. Place a piece of parchment paper inside the tart shells, fill with beans or pie weights.
• Bake the shells for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. Keep the oven running at 350F.
Ingredients for the filling:
8. 2 oz (60gr) all purpose flour
9. 2 oz (60gr) sugar
10. 2 oz (60gr) very cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
11. 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
12. 12 fresh figs, quartered
13. 4 tablespoons lavender honey
• In a large bowl, mix together the flour and sugar.
• Add the butter and ginger and quickly mix with your fingertips until you get pea sized pieces.
• Layer 3/4 of the streusel at the bottom of each tart shell.
• Divide and arrange the quartered figs evenly on top and top with the remaining streusel.
• Drizzle with the honey and bake an additional 20 minutes or until the streusel is baked and the figs are slightly roasted.
• Serve with the ice cream.
If you are fond of baking, this will not take much time for you to prepare.