When you are the cook at home, it is your responsibility to serve all kinds of delicious food to your family members keeping in mind the health aspects of every item that you prepare. If you have kids at home, their foods must be full of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and fats in appropriate quantities for growth and nutrition. But for the senior members of the family, you have to count the calories so that even a cardiac patient can enjoy the delicacies that you prepare.
To prepare a heart healthy meal, all you need to do is use ingredients that are good for the heart and that includes green vegetables, fat-free and gluten-free bread and cakes, low-fat margarine and oils, certain specific fruits like cranberries, blueberries, cherries and such others. Use fresh fruits and vegetables and less fatty products like full cream milk, butter, ice cream etc. Once you are aware of the calorie contents of each ingredient that you use, you ca serve exotic desserts that will surprise every member of your family and friends.
Just be innovative with the fresh and juicy fruits of the season and see the beaming smiles on their faces. Try out the given recipe.
Blueberry and Strawberry Punch with Oranges
- Fresh blueberries, strawberries and oranges.
- Granulated sugar or sugar substitute.
- Sugar-free and fat-free ice cream.
- Low fat unsweetened whipped cream.
- Low fat yogurt
- Fruit flavored Cornflakes/ Muesli
- Wash and dry the fruits and keep aside.
- Peel the oranges and keep them aside for garnishing.
- In a bowl, mix sugar substitute and whipped cream or if you wish to use yogurt add granulated sugar and mix well in an electric mixer till it becomes frothy.
- Cut the fruits into tiny pieces and keep them in a bowl.
- Add the whipped cream or yogurt or ice cream whichever you wish to use in the cut fruits.
- Now mix well taking care not to spoil the shapes of the fruits.
- You can add a few small pieces of oranges to the fruit mix.
- Now keep in the refrigerator for 2 hours to settle.
- Take ice cream cups and serve 2 scoops of the fruit punch. Place orange rinds on the sides and top it up with strawberry flavored cornflakes or wafers.
You will surely win the hearts of every member of your family with this yummy heart healthy dessert.