If you are fond of cooking you must be trying out different recipes. If you are health conscious and also love to come up with tasty dishes, here is one of the easiest recipes of cooking clams in the Spanish- style. Although there are various ways to prepare steamed clams, I am sure you will surely want to try out this method. It does not take much time to get it done. Within 25 to 30 minutes you can serve delicious and healthy steamed clams.
The main ingredients in this recipe are the clams that must be extremely fresh.
1. 3 to 4 pounds small hard-shelled clams live.
2. 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine or olive oil.
3. 1 small white onion.
4. 3 cloves garlic.
5. 1bottle dry white wine.
6. ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
7. Small pinch of saffron threads.
8. 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
9. 1 pound thick sliced bread
How to select the best clams is something important for everyone to know if you wish to prepare tasty and healthy food. Always go for the fresh ones. If you find that the shells of the clams are open, just tap on the shells. If it closes you will know that they are fine. But if the shells do not close then throw away those clams.
• Wash the clams thoroughly to remove all dirt and sands with a vegetable brush. You can drop a pinch of coarse salt into the water to remove the sand.
• Cut the onions coarsely and chop the garlic lightly.
• Take a large saucepan with lid or a steamer pot and melt butter or olive oil over low flame.
• Add garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes till they are transparent.
• Now add white wine, saffron threads and pepper flakes and let them combine well.
• Add the clams and bring to a slow boil. Add a little water and close the lid.
• Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes till the clams open. Do not overcook as the clams may become tough and rubbery.
• Now strain the soup through a cloth strainer so that even the tiniest sand particles do not get into your food.
• Take soup bowls and keep the clams using tongs.
• Now pour the strained broth into the bowls and add butter and sprinkle pepper flakes.
Serve warm with slices of French bread. You can add other spices too according to your taste.