A lot of the time, preparing a healthy dessert is all about tweaking the recipe of the original. We are lucky enough in this day in age to have access to a variety of fat free and calorie reduced ingredients that can be used as substitutes in desserts. One dessert that is a favorite all across the board is of course, cake and ice cream. There is that wonderful sweetness and texture of the cake that is complimented flawlessly by the cool, creaminess of the ice cream. The only problem is, cake and ice cream can be very unhealthy and high in calories as well as fat. But it does not have to be. Citrus chiffon cake and peach ice cream is a refreshing dessert that comes in at only 215 calories.
Since this dessert includes ice cream, it should be made first so that it has time to freeze. To make this tasty and healthy peach ice cream you will need:
2 cups evaporated milk, fat free
1 cup fresh peaches, chopped
1 cup milk, fat free
⅔ cup stevia
½ cup egg substitute
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl add evaporated milk, milk, stevia, egg substitute and vanilla extract.
2. With an electric mixer, mix on medium until well blended.
3. Add peaches and stir.
4. Pour into a two quart freezer container and freeze for about 40 minutes.
5. Remove from freezer and stir with a spatula or hand mixer to prevent ice crystals from forming.
6. Stir every 30 minutes for about 2 hours.
Now that the ice cream is in the freezer, it is time to start on the cake. The ingredients include:
1 ¾ cup cake flour, sifted
½ cup fresh orange juice
1 cup granulated sugar
8 large egg whites
3 large egg yolks
5 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl add flour, ⅞ cups of sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl add lime zest, orange juice, lemon zest, oil, vanilla extract and egg yolks. Whisk.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until smooth.
5. Add egg whites to a large bowl. Beat with a mixer on high until foamy.
6. Add cream of tartar and mix on high until soft peaks are achieved.
7. Gradually add remaining sugar until peaks stiffen.
8. Fold in ¼ of egg mixture to flour mixture.
9. Fold the remaining egg mix gradually.
10. Spoon batter into a 10 inch pan. Spread evenly.
11. Run a knife through batter to cut air pockets.
12. Reduce oven to 325 degrees and bake for about 45 minutes. Cake should spring back when touched. Allow to cool.
13. Use a thin metal spatula to loosen cake from the pan.
14. Flip cake over onto a dish.
15. Lightly sift powdered sugar over the top of the cake.
Once the cake and ice cream is complete, place a slice of cake onto a plate and add a scoop of ice cream. With one bite you will enjoy a subtle hint of citrus from this light and airy cake complemented by the sweetness of the ice cream. This dessert is the perfect finale to any meal and will satisfy any sweet tooth. Best of all it is a healthier option with a gourmet twist that is sure to impress.