Today everyone is health conscious and wish to enjoy everything that they have starting from breakfast to the desserts that add spice to life after dinner. In order to stay healthy it is necessary to maintain certain rules, which includes the use of ingredients that are low in calories and saturated fats. If you have a celiac patient at home, you need to use gluten-free flour. This is because gluten is a protein content that harms celiac patients for they cannot digest it. So you should store other kinds of flour like millet flour, almond flour etc that are devoid of gluten.
If you are thinking of baking almond cakes, try out this gluten-free dessert recipe.
Kumquats and Almond Tea Cakes
Ingredients for the cakes:
1/2 cup millet flour
2. 1 teaspoon baking powder
3. pinch of salt
4. 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
5. 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
6. 4 medium eggs
7. 1-cup ground almonds
8. 1/2 cup reserved kumquat compote.
How to prepare:
• Take a bowl and sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and keep aside.
• Smear butter on the insides of cake tins and place on a baking sheet.
• Heat the oven to 350F.
• Beat the butter and powdered sugar in an electric mixer.
• Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after you add each egg.
• Now add the flour mixture and ground almonds and mix for 30 seconds.
• Fold in the kumquat compote with a spatula.
• Now divide the batter in between the prepared tins.
Top with either fresh or poached kumquat slices and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Ingredients required for the kumquat compote:
1. 1 cup kumquats, halved and seeded
2. 1-cup sugar or sugar substitute.
3. 3/4 cup water
• Place the kumquats, sugar and water in medium saucepan over medium high heat and slowly bring to a boil, stir continuously to dissolve the sugar.
• Turn the heat down, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until the kumquats are translucent.
• Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
• Once they are cooled, drain the kumquats from the syrup.
• Reserve a few slices and puree in a food processor.
• Add 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of the reserved syrup as you go along.. It will look like thick marmalade.
Your yummy dessert is ready to serve. Decorate the way you prefer.