If you are baking cakes for a diabetic, you simply have to choose your ingredients accurately. Fruits, low-fat butter or margarine, sugar substitutes, fat-free cream of skimmed milk and such other items that are good for health yet take of calorie-counts are the ingredients that you should consider.
The truth is that large amounts of sugar-intake are not the only reason for the rise in blood sugar level. There are other causes too like eating more carbohydrates, fatty foods and junk foods and along with it mental stress and strains. So, to keep healthy and reduce the attacks of diseases like obesity and diabetes, take care of the food that you eat. There are so many diabetes dessert recipes to prepare, that you will never be short of the yummy desserts to serve after meals to a diabetic. Try this one out.
Crunchy Cheese Cake with Cherries and Almonds
- Fat-free flour especially available for baking.
- Quick cooking rolled oats.
- Sugar substitutes.
- Low-fat butter or favorably margarine
- Fat-less cream.
- Brown-sugar substitute.
- Almonds and almond extract.
- Fat-free whipped dessert topping.
- Vanilla essence.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the baking pan by greasing the foil and placing it in such a way on the pan so that foil extends over the edges of the pan.
- In a bowl mix flour, oats, chopped almonds and butter/margarine and brown-sugar substitute thoroughly till it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Now bake this for 12 minutes in the prepared baking pan.
- When done take it out from the oven and keep aside.
- Next, prepare the cake mix by mixing low-fat cream cheese, vanilla, almond extract, sugar substitute in an electric mixer till fluffy and light.
- Then add eggs and beat lightly at slower speed until it blends with the other ingredients.
- Add the cherries.
- Spread this batter on the pre-baked crust.
- Bake for about 25 to 35 minutes checking if the cream cheese layer has set properly.
- Cool it on a wire rack and then refrigerate it for many hours.
Your diabetic dessert is ready to serve. You can use shredded almonds to garnish before serving. The unique combination of crunchy base and the soft cake on top will surely make for a delightful treat for all at home.