Diabetes has become a common problem in most homes and along with it obesity. People in such families often complain of having to give up on their favorite desserts while the youngsters feel that they are not getting their due share of their desserts full of chocolate and cream.
But no more crying over such problems! Although you need to take care of the health of every member of the family, you can really use your special ideas to make everyone happy in their own ways. For the basics of the desserts, collect all ingredients that are fat-less, sugar-free and low in calories. Get the fresh fruits and fat-free toppings for the diabetics and sweetened whipped cream or ice creams for the young ones. Prepare a delicious healthy dessert with a lot of fruits and nuts that are good for every member, but for the toppings and added flavors use different ingredients to maintain the diet charts.
Here is a mouth-watering diabetic dessert recipe that will prove to be everyone’s favorite dessert.
Baked Apples with Cherries and Crunchy Nuts
- Fresh apples.
- Fresh Cherries.
- Almonds and walnuts.
- Sugar substitute.
- Sugar-free ice cream.
- Sugar-free cream/topping.
- Crispy cornflakes/muesli.
- Wash the apples thoroughly and slice them. You can use other fruits too like pears and apricots that are good for diabetes.
- Clean and cut the cherries and keep aside.
- Chop the almonds and walnuts into tiny pieces. You can also add raisins.
- Whip the sugar-free cream adding little sugar substitute if you do not use ice cream and keep it aside.
- In a microwave bowl arrange the apples and other fruits you wish to use and microwave till they are soft.
- Take it out and let it cool.
- Now add the fresh whipped cream and refrigerate.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped cherries, nuts and cornflakes.
Your diabetic dessert is absolutely free from saturated fats and sugar content that adds calories to the desserts. The sugar contents of the fruits and the tangy taste of cherries with added nuts will enrich your dessert for sure. You can add vanilla extract to bring in a flavor to the dessert. In the same dessert, you can use chocolate or vanilla ice cream and wafers is the sugar level is not too high. If you adhere to the diet regime as prescribed by the doctor, you can enjoy the diabetic desserts every night.