Everyone loves dessert. It is sweet, full of flavor and oh so satisfying. The only problem is, dessert can be quite unhealthy. The components that make it taste so delicious are almost never good for you. Fortunately, there are healthy options that are also very easy to make such as whole wheat pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
This healthy play on traditional chocolate chip cookies have a wonderful richness as a result of the use of dark chocolate, has great flavor complexity and the perfect amount of bite. In order to make this healthy dessert begin by gathering your ingredients. You will need:
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1 stick butter, unsalted
¾ cup dark chocolate chips
vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
baking soda: 1 teaspoon
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a super bowl add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Whisk and set aside.
4. Use a mixer to combine sugar and unsalted butter. Mix on high for about 5 minutes or until a light and fluffy consistency is achieved.
5. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract to the sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well combined.
6. Increase mixer speed to low medium and slowly add dry ingredients that were previously set aside.
7. Mix until well incorporated. Do not over mix.
8. Gently fold in dark chocolate chips.
9. Use an ice cream scoop to form cookies. Space them two inches apart on the baking sheet.
10. Place in oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until a golden brown color is achieved. Halfway through cooking time, rotate baking sheet to ensure even browning.
11. Allow to cool for a few minutes and remove from baking sheet.
Before you know it you will have a delicious and healthy dessert to indulge in. After one bite you will be hooked. The best part about these whole wheat pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are that are very versatile. They can be served alone, used as the exterior of a healthy frozen yogurt sandwich or incorporated into a low calorie organic ice cream. All in all, these cookies are guilt free and can be enjoyed in so many ways.