According to nutritionists, fruits can keep you healthy and strong more than any other foods that you have. Fruits have vitamins, minerals, iron, calcium, fibers and even carbohydrates to maintain your health and help you in your regular activities. But that does not mean that you will not have animal products like chicken, eggs or milk and butter and cheese. Children need a lot of these nutrients. But for the older people when various diseases fly around to get into your bodies, it is important to go on strictly healthy diet that is prescribed by dieticians.
But if you have been diagnosed of cardiac problems or blood sugar and cholesterol problems, then you must make certain changes in your lifestyle and eating habits. Stay away from fatty foods like junk foods and excess of butter, table sugar and other high fat contents. Eat in measured quantities and count your calories so that you will not have to stay away from even your favorite desserts.
Fruit Combo with nuts and crunchy treats
- Varieties of fruits like pears, apples, cherries, and blueberries etc that are heart healthy.
- Almonds, nuts, raisins and dates.
- Gluten-free flour.
- Sugar substitute.
- Baking powder.
- Baking soda.
- Vanilla extract.
- Orange peels.
- Powdered sugar.
- Custard powder.
- Wash, clean and deseed all the fruits.
- Chop the nuts finely.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar substitute, margarine, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Add some of the nuts and raisins and dates.
- Heat the oven to 360 degrees.
- In a baking tray, first smear margarine of fat-free butter.
- Pour the batter you have prepared and bake for about 30 minutes till it becomes crusty.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool in a rack.
- In a microwave bowl keep all the chopped fruits and place it in the oven for just a few minutes till tender. Do not let the fruits become too soft and pulpy.
- Take it out and allow it to cool.
- Now prepare the custard of any flavor that you prefer and pour it over the fruits.
- When cold, add the crunchy crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve cold in decorative bowls or custard cups.
Take some time out for preparing heart healthy desserts. It does not take much time but you must pick and choose your ingredients with your head and not your heart.