Floating Islands are indeed one of the most delicious desserts that is loved by all alike. Even an adult would love to enjoy a second helping irrespective of his weight or age. Various fruits can be punched with the floating islands but perhaps the most interesting and exotic are the Strawberry and Vanilla Floating Islands. It does not take much time to prepare this yummy delicacy. Here is the recipe and method of preparing it.
Ingredients for the strawberry coulees:
1. 16 oz (500gr) strawberries, hulled and quartered
2. 1/4 cup (50gr) sugar
3. 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
For the floating islands:
4. 2 egg whites (60gr)
5. 1/2 cup+1.5 tablespoons (120gr) sugar
6. 1/2 vanilla bean, seeded
Method of preparation:
• Take a medium saucepan, and put the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice and cook over low heat. Only allow it to simmer.
• Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and puree the mixture in a blender or food processor.
• Divide evenly between 4 dishes or glasses.
• Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
• Coat 4 ramekins of your choice with cooking spray and place them in a deep baking dish set on a baking tray and set aside.
• Take a pan and keep the egg whites, sugar and the seeds of the vanilla bean in water and simmer until the mixture reaches 140 degrees whisking it constantly.
• Remove from heat and pour the mixture into an electric mixer and whip for sometime till the contents double in volume and cools down.
• Pour the meringue into a plastic bag with a pipe or use a spoon to pour it into the ramekins and fill the baking dish with hot water almost ¾ of the way up.
• Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the meringues are soft.
• Use tongs to remove the ramekins from the baking dish and set aside till they cool to room temperature.
• Once they are cooled, invert them and let the meringue slide right off over the strawberry coulees.
Your lovely dessert is ready now. You can decorate with finely cut strawberries and chopped pistachios for added flavor. To prepare this dessert you will require hardly 30 minutes and so you can serve your guests whenever you wish to surprise them with something delicious.