All those who are fond of trying out the international delicacies from far and wide, will enjoy this Mediterranean specialty that you can prepare in your own kitchen. The fact is if you love to cook and spend some time in your kitchen, you can easily prepare amazing dishes and present them in your own innovative ways. All you need is a heart to cook for others that will give you great satisfaction.
1. 2 large aubergines
2. 4 small courgettes
3. 2 red or yellow peppers.
4. 4 large ripe tomatoes
5. 5 tbsp olive oil
6. 1 small bunch of basil
7. 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
8. 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
9. 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
10. 1 tsp sugar (any kind)
• Cut the aubergines in half lengthways. Place them on the board, cut side down, slice in half lengthways again and then across into 1.5cm chunks.
• Cut off the courgettes ends, then across into 1.5cm slices.
• Peel the peppers from stalk to bottom. Hold upright, cut around the stalk, then cut into 3 pieces. Cut away any membrane and chop into bite-size chunks.
• Score a small cross on the base of each tomato and then put them into a heatproof bowl.
• Pour boiling water over the tomatoes and leave for 20 seconds and then remove.
• Pour the water away, replace the tomatoes and cover with cold water. Leave to cool, then peel the skin away. Quarter the tomatoes, scrape away the seeds with a spoon and then roughly chop the flesh.
• Place a sauté pan over medium heat and when hot, pour in 2 tbsp olive oil.
• Brown the aubergines for 5 minutes on each side until the pieces are soft. Set them aside.
• Fry the courgettes in another tbsp oil for 5 minutes, until golden on both sides.
• Repeat with the peppers. Don’t overcook the vegetables at this stage.
• Tear up the basil leaves and set aside.
• Cook the onion in the pan for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Stir in the vinegar and sugar and then tip in the tomatoes and half the basil.
• Return the vegetables to the pan with some salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Serve with basil.
Your special dish is ready to serve. If you wish to customize it, you can add 1-tablespoon capers and few pitted black olives and chopped anchovies or finely chopped deseeded chilli flakes for a hot kick.