We are all used to having various types of cakes and pastries like the chocolate, vanilla, strawberry etc. But the Indian spice cardamom lends a unique flavor to the cake enriched by Mewa, which offers a creamy taste of milk. If you wish to try out this recipe you will have to be a bit patient especially if you wish to prepare the Mewa at home for it is readily available at the stores too nowadays.
For the Mewa you will require:
1. 1litre full-cream milk.
For the cake:
2. 115gm unsalted butter.
3. ¾-cup packed crumbled mawa (optional).
4. 11/4 cups castor sugar.
5. 3 eggs.
6. 2 cups cake flour.
7. 5 to 6 pods of cardamom.
8. 1-teaspoon baking powder.
9. ½ cup milk.
10. ¼ teaspoon salt
11. 18 to 20 cashew nuts or almonds for decoration.
• Take a heavy-bottomed saucepan and pour the milk and start boiling it stirring often so that it does not stick to the pan.
• Keep boiling it on low flame till it reduces to ¼ the volume. It will take more than an hour till the milk solids or mewa become lumpy but it should not stick to the sides and remain soft and moist. You can prepare the Mewa a day before also.
• Remove from the fire and let it cool before you keep it in the refrigerator.
• For the cake, take a large bowl and slowly add the ingredients one by one and combine thoroughly.
• Grind the cardamom pods to fine powder and then add to the mixture.
• Do not add the cashew nuts or almonds now. They can be used for topping after the baking is over.
• Take out the mewa and bring it to room temperature before adding it to the batter. You can use a hand mixer to blend all the ingredients well.
• Now grease the baking tray and pour the batter into it.
• Sprinkle the chopped blanched almonds or cashew nuts randomly but do not press them.
• Bake in a pre-heated oven for about an hour.
• Check often to see that it does not turn dark brown.
• Take out from the oven and let it cool.
• Then take it out from the tray and remove the parchment and wait till it cools down absolutely.
Your special cake is ready. You will see that it has a rustic look and your toppings are random. Now cut into pieces and serve with tea or coffee.