Cooking is an art and to blend tastes and flavors requires the finer senses of balance and of course the preference of the cook. Lemon and honey have often been used in various types of cuisines and desserts, as it is one of the best combinations both for health and taste. So let us try out a unique dessert and see how you like it.
Honey Lemon Pots De Crème
1. 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2. 4 large egg yolks
3. 1/3 cup honey
4. 1/4 cup lemon juice
5. Zest of 2-3 lemons
6. ¼ cup sugar
7. ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8. Pinch of salt
• Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and place a rack in the center.
• Place the 5 to 6 ramekins in a heavy deep pan and set aside.
• Pour the heavy cream into a medium saucepan and place it on low flame and allow simmering only and then turning off the heat but letting your cream to stay warm.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract and sugar and whisk for a couple of minutes.
• Add the lemon juice and honey and salt and whisk until fully blended.
• Slowly pour the heavy cream over the egg mixture, whisking well.
• Let it stand for a couple of minutes to let any foam rise to the top. Then skim off the foam.
• Now divide the mixture among the ramekins ready to be used.
• Put the pan in the oven and then carefully pour hot water (not boiling) in the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
• Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the custard has set.
• Remove from fire and keep in racks to cool.
• Then refrigerate. It tastes best when it is cold.
Your dessert is ready and you can take it out anytime to help yourself a treat while watching a movie or serve your guests too. If you are calorie conscious, use low-fat ingredients. In place of heavy cream and sugar use low-fat cream and sugar substitute but whisk the cream well to get the soft peaks as it makes the custard smooth. Lemon is good for health as it contains Vitamin C that helps to protect you from colds etc while the uses of honey are endless. It helps to reduce fat also. So there is no problem if you indulge in a few of the honey lemon pots de crème that you have baked.