Mini dessert pizzas are great healthy dessert alternatives for kids. They are made with mildly sweet sugar cookies and topped with a variety of colorful fruit and light tangy glaze. Not only do they taste great but they are very appealing to the eye. Kids will be drawn to them immediately. They will not even realize that they are eating a healthy dessert, Here is how to make mini dessert pizzas.
¾ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
⅛ cup almond milk, unsweetened
2 ¼ tablespoons butter, melted
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ plus ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 can coconut milk, full fat
Natural sweetener, to taste
Fruit and Glaze:
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup fresh mango, chopped
4 oz softened cream cheese
¼ cup water
¼ cup confectioners sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and prepare a cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper. Greasing a baking sheet is also an option.
2. In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until everything is well combined.
3. In a separate bowl combine unsweetened almond milk, butter and vanilla extract.
4. While continually stirring, slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
5. When all wet ingredients are added continue to mix until a dough like consistency is achieved.
6. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll into medium sized balls.
7. Place onto the baking sheet and cook for about 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
9. Transfer the thick creamy part of your coconut milk into a bowl.
10. Add sweetener and use a hand mixer to transform into a healthy whipped topping. Mix on medium high. Stop mixing when stiff peaks form. Set aside.
11. In a small saucepan combine water, granulated sugar, pineapple juice, lemon juice and cornstarch.
12. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. This is the glaze for the fruit pizzas.
13. Beat cream and confectioners sugar until smooth.
14. Gently fold in about 2 cups of the whipped topping made previously.
15. Spread whipped topping and cream cheese mixture on each cookie. This will serve as the sauce.
16. Invite the kids in to help arrange the fruit on top of each pizza. They can make their own little designs and personalize their pizzas.
17. Finish with a drizzle of glaze and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
Overall, mini dessert pizzas are amazing healthy desserts for kids. All the components are delicious, the recipe is interactive and is very easy to make. The best part is, all the flavors really compliment each other. Although simple there is some complexity to this dessert that adults are sure to enjoy as well.