Homemade saltine crackers recipes – Biscuits are a baked food with flour as raw materials. As far as I know that the original meaning is “Bread baked twice.” Indeed, biscuits and bread are very similar, both of them contain no yeast, and are lower in water content, which make them easier to preserve. Initially, biscuits are an emergency food for sailing and war. And then with the mechanical and technological progress and updated production equipment, they become a daily small food, and have been recognized around the world.
Sweet, savory, soda, and cookies, all kinds of cookies decorate our lives. However, today I would like to introduce you with the crisp biscuits, which is also called saltine crackers.
This is a cookie that is relative to the tough biscuits. When during the modulation of raw material dough, the usage of sugar and the amount of fat is much more than other biscuits; while the usage of water is relatively less.
The main raw material of homemade saltine crackers are wheat flour, sugar and fat. In addition to adding loose agent and other accessories, the homemade saltine crackers are usually porous at its cross-section after breaking them apart. And the homemade saltine crackers taste relatively loose.
In the market, milk fragrant biscuits, spring onion biscuits, sesame biscuits, etc. usually belong to the saltine crackers.
Homemade Saltine Crackers Recipes
Homemade Black Sesame Saltine Crackers
Ingredients: 150g plain flour; 20g black sesame; 30g butter; 1 egg; 20g milk; 20g sugar; 2.5ml salt; 2.5ml baking powder
- Sift plain flour, baking powder and salt. And then add in sugar and softened butter. Next, blend well with your own hands.
- Pour in the beaten egg, and the milk.
- Knead dough until the surface is smooth. Pay attention that the time should not be too much long.
- Pour in black sesame and keep kneading for 1 minute just to make sure that the black sesame is dotted evenly into the dough.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap, and let it loosen for half an hour.
- Sprinkle the chopping board with a thin layer of plain flour. And put the dough on the chopping board. Next, roll the dough into 0.2cm thin slice.
- Tidy the dough into a rectangular shape. And, cut the dough into 3.5cm square slices.
- Place the square slices on the pan, and leave out some distance between every two square slices. Put the pan into the preheated oven of 356 F degrees at the medium level. At the same time, bake for 15 minutes until the surfaces are golden and brown.
Please adjust the consumption of milk due to the difference of the dough. Similarly, you can add half milk at first, and if the dough is still dry, and then add more milk little by little until the dough is soft. And you can re-roll the dough that has been cut at the seven steps into square slices. Make sure it is not a waste. What is more, you can cut the dough into different shapes that you like besides square. When you are kneading dough, make sure do not knead too much over. If the dough is smooth enough, it is okay now. Finally, roll the dough thin around 0.2cm thicknesses. This is because the dough slices will expand during the baking. Or else the output is too thick that will affect the taste of the homemade black sesame saltine crackers.
Homemade Spring Onion Saltine Crackers
Ingredients: 65g butter; 42g sugar; 45g salad oil; 45g water; 3.5g salt; 40g spring onion; 175g plain flour
- Fistly, chop the green onions and leave apart the white parts. Measure out 40g green onion for later use.
- Soften the butter at room temperature, and beat the butter with an electric beater.
- Add in sugar and salt. Beat the mixture with low speed at first, and then with medium speed until the butter turns paler and fluffy.
- Add in salad oil and beat the mixture into batter with medium speed.
- Pour the water into the batter. And keep whisking until dense.
- Pour in the green onions. And beat with an electric beater with medium speed until even.
- Add in sifted plain flour and scrape it evenly until there is no grain.
- Put the batter into a piping bag and squeeze out round crackers on the oven with a silicone pad covered
- Preheat the oven to 356 F degrees and bake for 25 minutes. And steam for another 5 minutes after the surfaces of the homemade saltine crackers turn brown.
Make sure the green onions are chopped fully, or else the bigger ones would be likely to block the pastry tip and make it difficult to squeeze out the batter. When the weather is cold, you can cut the butter into slices and cover them with plastic wrap. Next, put them into the pan and bake in oven. The softened butter shall be operated instantly or else it would clot again due to the low temperature. If you are afraid of butter being clotted, you can heat the pan over warm water. And do not squeeze the batter on the oven with center too thick, or else the sides would burn and the center is not matured during the baking. After that, the finished homemade saltine crackers shall be cool at room temperature and thus can be crispy.
Homemade Green Onion Soda Saltine Crackers
Ingredients: 100g plain flour; 58g milk; 1g yeast; 0.5g baking soda; 1-2g salt; 20g butter; 2.3g chopped green onions
- Dice butter and add in plain flour, salt, baking soda and yeast. Then, blend well and add in milk and knead dough.
- Dehydrate the green onions and add into the dough. Next, knead dough well to make sure the chopped green onions are integrated into the dough evenly. And then, cover the dough with a plastic wrap and loosen at room temperature for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopping board with a thin layer of plain flour or cover it with a plastic wrap in avoids of sticky. Then, roll the dough flat and thin on the chopping board.
- Tidy the dough into a rectangular shape. And then fork out small holes evenly in avoids of expansion of the dough.
- Cut the dough into slices of your favorite shape. And Put them into the pan.
- Preheat the oven at 356 F degrees and bake at medium level for about 10 – 12 minutes. It is okay when the surfaces of the homemade saltine crackers are golden and brown. Let it cool for eating.
The homemade green onion soda saltine crackers are easy for people who have no experience of baking to bake. And all the ingredients are handy to get. This is a kind of crackers that kids and the elders all like. It is especially suitable for the elders who dislike sweet cookies. When you are drinking a cup of milk, add in the milk with the homemade saltine crackers; the milky flavor and salty taste are really a perfect combination.
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Saltine Crackers
Ingredients: half egg; 135g plain flour; 70g butter; 40g sugar; 3g salt; 80g Mozzarella cheese
- Soften the butter at room temperature. Then add in sugar and salt until it’s white and fluffy.
- Then, blend in Mozzarella cheese of about 80g and mix well.
- Next, sift the plain flour per 3 times. And blend well. Next, add in egg liquid and mix well.
- Finally, knead dough with your own hands and tidy the dough, then put it into the fridge for an hour or so. And then, bake at 330 F degrees and bake for 20 minutes or so. Pay attention to the color of the homemade saltine crackers at any time.
This kind of Mozzarella cheese saltine crackers is not greasy at all. And the surfaces of the homemade saltine crackers are so crispy to bite. I bet that you are going to get in a habit of biting the crispy homemade saltine crackers because it is so yummy and funny.
Conclusion for Homemade Saltine Crackers Recipes
To sum up, I would like to say that better choose homemade saltine crackers for those families that have both kids and the elders. Some elder people dislike sweet cookies or they can not eat them, so if you are going to make some homemade cookies or choose some cookies as a gift for a family, I believe that homemade saltine crackers are the best! Follow the recipes above you will have a clue why homemade saltine crackers are much more popular than the sweet biscuits.