Very few desserts can compare to those crafted by the Italians. They are known for their decadent desserts. Not only do they have amazing names that slide off of your tongue but after one bite you are transported to Italy. One of the best dessert dishes to end any meal is dark chocolate and almond biscotti with affogato. This dessert seamlessly incorporates chocolate and espresso, which is an exceptionally good duo along with a few other flavors to add a bit more complexity to the dish. The best part is, dark chocolate and almond biscotti with affogato can be made in a healthy way. To begin, you have to gather your ingredients which include:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
¾ cup slivered almonds, unsalted
½ cup dark chocolate
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup canola oil
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frozen yogurt, vanilla
2 tablespoons instant espresso, hot
½ tablespoon coffee liqueur
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
3. In a medium large bowl add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
4. Set dry ingredients aside.
5. In a large bowl beat large egg yolk, large egg and granulated sugar on medium until a light and fluffy consistency is achieved.
6. Add canola oil and vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
7. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and slowly begin to add dry ingredients.
8. Continue mixing until all dry ingredients have been used and everything has thoroughly combined. Dough will be stiff.
9. Use a spatula to gently fold in slivered almonds. Be sure that there are almonds distributed throughout the dough.
10. Finely chop dark chocolate and fold into the dough along with the slivered almonds.
11. Lightly flour your selected surface and moisten hands.
12. Shape the biscotti dough into two 9 inch logs that are about 2 ½ to 3 inches wide.
13. Transfer logs to baking sheet.
14. Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top of both logs have set.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about ten minutes on the baking sheet.
16. Once cooled, transfer logs to a cutting board.
17. With a serrated knife cut each log diagonally. Each log should yield about 16 half inch slices.
18. Place slices on baking sheet and reduce oven to 325 degrees.
19. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy. Halfway through cooking time turn over each biscotti to ensure even crispness.
20. Cool for about 10 minutes.
While your biscotti is cooling you can make the affogato. To do so:
1. Scoop frozen yogurt into your serving dish of choice (two scoops are suggested).
2. In a small bowl add hot espresso and coffee liqueur. Stir.
3. Pour over frozen yogurt and serve immediately with a dark chocolate and almond biscotti.
Before you know it you have a fantastic Italian dessert with impressive presentation value. When serving dark chocolate and almond biscotti with affogato take the time to experiment with plating. This dessert can be presented in a variety of fun and whimsical ways. Certainly put extra thought into presentation if you are serving this at a dinner party or any other gathering. The best part about this dessert is you will never be able to tell it is a healthier option. Every bite is extremely satisfying and rich with the perfect amount of sweetness.