Among the various diseases for which you have to be careful about the ingredients of the food that you eat is the Celiac disease. It is a digestive disorder where the small intestine cannot digest a protein substance called gluten. This protein is found mostly in wheat, barley and rye. When the lining in the small intestine is damaged by the gluten contents in foods that you eat, it loses the ability to absorb other necessary nutrients required by the body like fat, iron, calcium and others.
So if you are aware that an individual has the celiac problem, then you should not use ingredients like wheat flour, barley etc in the foods that you prepare especially at home. It is known that most of the desserts that we make require flour like the cakes and cookies. Then how will you serve your desserts to a celiac patient? Well, there is nothing to worry any longer. There are so many gluten-free dessert recipes that you can prepare and safely offer everyone in the family even a celiac patient.
Moreover, you must remember that whatever you prepare must be healthy, tasty and full of goodness that will satisfy everyone alike. Here is a tasty gluten-free dessert recipe that you can try out.
Stuffed Baked Apples with Maple Syrup
- Large apples 4
- Walnuts ½ cup
- Golden raisins ¼ cup
- Unsalted butter 2 tablespoons
- Maple syrup ¾ cup
- Ice cream
- Cherries 4-5 whole
- Almonds ¼ cup
Process of making baked apples
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scoop out the inner cores of the apples and slice the bottom in such a way that they sit well on the baking plate.
- Finely chop all the almonds, walnuts and raisins and also the cherries.
- Stuff the cored apples with the filling of nuts and raisins.
- Add a little of the maple syrup on top of the filling.
- Place the apples on a baking tray.
- Put little butter on top of every apple and bake for about 40 minutes till tender.
- Thicken the syrup separately over low flame.
- When the apples are fully done, pour the warm syrup on the apples.
- Now add ice cream for the topping and place a cherry on top for garnishing.
- Your stuffed baked apples are ready to serve.
This stuffed and baked apple recipe is not only gluten free but is extremely tasty as the combination of maple and apple juice creates a yummy finger-licking sauce that everyone will enjoy.