This is an amazing delicacy that most food connoisseurs enjoy. It is a great starter at a special gathering and is also suitable for a cozy dinner. It is simple and very tasty with the natural sweetness of crabs. Fresh crabs are tastier but remember to clean them properly. Cook them in slightly salted water before you start preparing the soup. This is done to remove the natural dirt from their bodies and also to get rid of the odor if any.
Here is a simple recipe that will help you to serve everyone a bowl of crab soup.
1. 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2. 1 tablespoon olive oil
3. 1 cup chopped carrot
4. 1 cup chopped celery
5. 1 cup chopped onion
6. 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
7. 3 garlic cloves, minced
8. 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
9. 1/4 teaspoon salt
10. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
11. 1/4 teaspoon herbs de Province
12. 1 bay leaf
13. 4 cups water
14. 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
15. 1 1/2 cups whole milk
16. 1/2 cup heavy cream
17. 1 pound lump crab meat
18. 2 tablespoons Cognac
Although the list of ingredients is quite long, most of the ingredients are a part of the kitchen groceries. Try to cut all your ingredients of the same size after washing them clean and dry. The fresher the vegetables and crabs, the tastier and healthier is your soup.
• Take a big pan with a lid and place it on low flame.
• Melt the butter with the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
• Add the carrot and the next 5 ingredients (through jalapeno), and sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
• Add salt, black pepper, herbs de Province, and bay leaf.
• Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the water, and cornstarch/water mixture and bring the mixture to a boil.
• Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently.
• Stir in the milk and cream and cook 5 minutes.
• Stir in crabmeat and cognac cook 5 minutes or until the soup is thoroughly heated.
Serve with bread and butter. Although it is a simple bowl of soup, the taste and flavor fills the heart. Two slices of bread go well with a bowl of crab soup to fill your stomach.