If you have the heart to do anything right, it really does not take much time to prepare it. But if you start thinking that you have to bake something that is good for the heart and that you need to shop for the ingredients properly, then the entire process becomes long and boring. When you have a heart patient at home, store some of the ingredients that are heart healthy like gluten-free flour, low-sodium salt, sugar substitutes, low-fat milk, vanilla extract/essence and some fruits like strawberries, blueberries and such others that you know for sure are good for the heart.
As most of us finish our meals with a dessert, it is likely that you will have to bake up something regularly to end the dinner in a satisfying way. You can try out various heart healthy dessert recipes to offer something new and tasty often. Try to include fruits in the desserts as the natural sugar in fruits adds a different taste to the dessert and you will not have to use much sugar as well. Count the calories when preparing something for cardiac patients or those members who have certain specific ailments like diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. A perfect choice of ingredients will naturally be safe, healthy and delicious too.
Try out this dessert recipe that keeps the heart absolutely fit and fine. You can use your own ideas to add a twist to this simple dessert that requires only 6 ingredients, which you often have in your store.
Strawberry Short Cake
- Calorie-free sweetener.
- Orange juice.
- Vanilla or Almond extract.
- Fresh Strawberries.
- Sponge cake dessert shells. (Readily available at the store with sugar substitute)
How to prepare:
- In a small saucepan mix the sweetener and cornstarch.
- Stir in the orange juice and boil stirring continuously till it becomes thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and add the Vanilla extract or Almond extract according to your choice.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine orange juice and strawberries stirring gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Now pour the smooth sauce into the cake shells and serve.
You can also use this fresh fruit sauce over sugar-free ice cream made from slimmed milk, fat-free and sugar-free pond cake and angel food cake. Adults and children will surely ask for more of this luscious delight more often than you can imagine.