There are certain kinds of foods that are strictly forbidden for diabetics like common white flour. Table sugar and sweetened fruits and cheesy delicacies too should be avoided when your blood sugar is on the higher levels. Eating healthy does not imply that you have to stay away from delicacies that are prepared at home especially during the festive occasions.
Can you imagine celebrating Christmas without the Christmas cake? There are unique dessert recipes made for diabetics and obese people. They are low in sugar contents and most often when prepared at home contain no sugar at all. Sugar substitutes are used to get the sweet taste. Fats like butter is also avoided. Margarine, olive oil or canola are fat-free oil that makes delicious dishes and desserts that are low in carbohydrates and saturated fats and are responsible for all kinds of ailments.
Here is a wonderful healthy diabetic dessert recipe that you can prepare without flour.
Spongy Fruit Cake without Flour
- Vanilla sugar or sugar substitute.
- Vanilla extract.
- Matzo cake meal.
- Cherries, nuts, raisins, sugar-free fruit shortenings.
- Egg whites.
How to prepare:
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix sugar substitute, matzo cake meal and lemon zest thoroughly.
- Now in an electric mixer on medium speed neat the egg whites and a pinch of salt till frothy. Continue till soft peaks are formed.
- Add little vanilla sugar gradually to the beaten egg whites till soft white glossy peaks are formed.
- Add the vanilla extract and the chopped fruit pieces.
- Now fold the dry ingredients kept ready before into the fluffy egg whites evenly.
- In a 10-inches food cake pan pour the entire batter releasing air bubbles with a spatula.
- Smooth the top of the batter.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Check with a skewer if it is done.
- Take out from the oven and invert onto a serving dish.
Your dessert is ready. Cut into pieces and serve. It will be really hard to tell that you have not used flour or table sugar in your cake. It tastes so good and comes out very soft and juicy that your guests too will ask for more. Whether you are on a diabetic diet or obesity regime, no one will stop you from enjoying this diabetic flourless spongy cake.